Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Welcome Home ...

To Soldier's unit arriving home from Afghanistan after a long, hard year! They fought well and kept their heads high through every situation they were dealt with.

With all the excitement and happiness I have for all of Soldier's fellow brothers to finally be home .. I can't help but to also have a heavy heart.

One guy is not coming home. That one guy is not just anyone, it was Soldier's really good friend and brother. He not only deployed with him this time around but also his first deployment to Iraq. He looked after him when Soldier was faced with a near-death experience and has continued to always be by his side through his deployment.

How is it fair that we celebrate, show our pride and love as our brave soldier's come home .. And yet, his widow does not get that chance.

Soldier went to dinner with his widow and she is having a really rough time. She has yet to go through any of his stuff that was sent back from Afghanistan. She mentioned she wanted both of us to go over and to help her sort through everything and also said she wanted Soldier to take some of his things because she doesn't know what to do with them or can't look at them anymore without breaking down.

Can you say heartbreak? Jeez. Poor girl, what did she do to deserve this? Nothing.

It could have been anyone. I wish it wasn't him and yet I would never wish it upon anyone else.

No matter the heaviness I feel in my heart .. I still am overwhelmed with excitement and just pure happiness and relief that we have survived yet another deployment and that although we did lose a great person and soldier over there .. Soldier's friends and brothers are all coming home safe and sound to their families.

Soldier gained one hell of a guardian angel .. And without him up there, I might not have my Soldier here today.

Thank you, Eric.
For all you've done.
Keep looking after Soldier. Keep sending signs. I know Soldier loves that .. Plus I loved that little turtle in our backyard, bring him around again. :)

Miss you.
You are never forgotten.

Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment